June 23rd found the Royal City Trackers squad of 28 athletes in competition at the BC JD Pentathlon Championships in South Surrey. On a day where the weather started warm but finished in torrential rain, Royal City Track athletes warmed to the occasion with shining results.
The club earned a total of 13 top 8 finishes in a very strong field of competitors from rival clubs from around the province. Strong performances were achieved in almost all age groups for the girls and boys with multiple PB’s achieved in events at the meet.
- 9 year old girls – Katie Stewart-Barnett placed 3rd with 1079 points and Alysha Sidhu 6th with 737 points.
- 9 year old boys – David Patry-Smith 8th place with 808 points.
- 10 year old girls – Megan Lauener 3rd place with 1753 points.
- 10 year old boys – Hamish Muttersbach 8th place with 1175 points.
- 11 year old girls – 11th Jenevieve Patry-Smith, 13th Shianne Lowka, 14th Emma Barnett.
- 11 year old boys – 5th Max Jones with 1904 points, 7th Ryan Jensen with 1712 points, 8th Jeremy Belcher 1686 points.
- 12 year old girls – 8th place Sarah Forgie with 1820 points, 10th Grace Vanee
- 12 year old boys – 6th place Ian Hunter with 1847 points, 9th Emmanuel Dadson, 12th Jaimie Whittemore.
- 13 year old girls – 6th place Lauren Vanee with 2061 points, 7th Brianne Lowka with 2030 points, 8th Emily Chilton with 1831 points, 10th place Kathryn Bos, 11th Olivia Noort.
The Pentathlon is a meet composed of 5 events; high jump, long jump, sprint hurdles, shot put and either a 600m, 800m or 1000m race depending on age.