2019 TRACK & FIELD TRAINING SCHEDULE
Regular Outdoor Training for all competitive athletes begins in April. *Training schedule/locations subject to change based on athletes’ needs and coach availability.
**Please note: age of an athlete is determined by how old the athlete will turn in 2019 (for example, even if your child is still 13 in April, if they turn 14 in 2019, you look at training schedules for 14+). Training schedules for specific age groups are determined by long term development guidelines set by BC Athletics.**
The Track Rascal Program has two separate programs (athletes register for one or the other, not both):
PLEASE NOTE: TUESDAY’S ARE NOW FULL BUT THERE IS STILL SPACE AVAILABLE ON THURSDAY’S
- Tuesdays 6-7pm starting APRIL 9 OR Thursdays 6-7pm starting APRIL 11 at Mercer Track.
- BOTH Programs END TUESDAY, JUNE 11, 2019 with a BBQ/windup mini meet.
Competition JD Program (9-13* years):
- Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5:30-7pm starting APRIL 2 at Mercer Track.
- This program ends with the BCJD Provincial Championships in July.
- Please note practice on Thursday, April 4 is cancelled due to the JD Athlete, Parent & Coach Meeting at NWSS High School Library from 6pm-7:30pm (enter off 8th Street Entrance). ** It is important for all JD athletes and a parent to attend (ages 9-13)! **
*Please Note: Coaches are requesting for all JD athletes turning 13 in 2019 to train up with the older age group at the 6:30-8:30pm session. Those 13 year old athletes interested in throws are to attend the practices on Tuesday & Thursday nights at Burnaby Central. Coach Kevin can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about throws practices.
Midget/Youth Training (turning 14 and older in 2019 plus all JD athletes turning 13 in 2019):
- Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:30-8:30pm starting APRIL 2 at Mercer Track.
- For distance runners aged 13+ there is a practice on Wednesdays from 7-9pm starting APRIL 10 at Swangard Stadium in Burnaby with Coach Sean. Some dates, the club will not have these practices due to the Stadium being booked for special events, so with
Additional practices on Friday, Saturday and/or Sunday may also be added for older athletes on an individual basis; event coaches will communicate with the athletes on an individual basis and athletes are encouraged to talk to their coaches about supplemental training.
Throws Group (Midget and older):
- Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 6-8pm starting APRIL 2 at Burnaby Central (schedule and times subject to change due to weather and coaching availability).
- 6-7pm hammer (Coach Kevin)
- 7-8pm javelin (Coach Kevin)
- 6-7pm midget+ shot put (Coach Jason)
- 7-8pm midget+ discus (Coach Jason) and hammer (Coach Kevin)
- 6-7pm discus (Coach Jason)
- 7-8pm javelin (Coach Kevin)
Please speak with Coach Kevin or Coach Jason if you have any further questions about the throws group (email@example.com).
Pole Vault Note: Pole vault is weather dependent. Interested athletes aged 13+ will have opportunity to discuss vault practice schedules directly with Coach Cristina Weir (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Most track practices take place RAIN or SHINE. In case of very heavy rain, wind conditions, watch your email in case coaches have to cancel a practice on rare occasion or for a particular event.
2019 Pre-Season Training:
Pre-Season Training for 13+:
Pre-Season Training for athletes aged 13+ (the JD athletes who turn 13 in 2019 will also be included in these training sessions) begins Thursday, January 10, 2019.
Athletes are not required to sign up to participate for the 13+ aged pre-season training but an email to the respective coach as indicated below is required so coaches can plan the sessions accordingly.
- Thursdays from 6:00pm – 7:30pm at Mercer Stadium. Workouts will be every Thursday following until the regular season schedule begins. Athletes must email Coach Sean at email@example.com to confirm attendance at this practice. This is a base/conditioning running practice.
- Sundays (first session is Sunday, January 13) from 9:00am – 10:20am at Deer Lake Park–these practices start from the parking lot on Royal Oak Avenue, just south of Deer Lake Parkway. This practice starts at 9:00am SHARP. It is very important that you email Coach Sean at firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm attendance at this practice before the day so the Coach knows who to expect at this practice. This practice is intended for mid and long distance athletes and involves lots of running and hill training. All interested athletes are welcome to attend regardless of their discipline to assist with pre-season conditioning.
- RCTFC athletes aged 13+ who are interested in pre-season throws practices and are not already participating, please email Coach Kevin Smith at email@example.com for more information and to get onto Coach Kevin’s email distribution list.
- RCTFC athletes aged 13+ who are interested in pre-season pole vault practices and strength training and are not already participating, please email Coach Cristina Weir at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Pre-Season Training for 10-12 year old JD Athletes:
Junior Development (JD) athletes (if your athlete turns between 9-13 years old in the year 2019) are encouraged to participate in some kind of physical activity during the months leading up to the 2019 track & field season.
If your JD aged child is involved in winter sports such as skiing, basketball, soccer, hiking, floor hockey, winter swim club, etc., they are encouraged to enjoy those activities and the RCTFC looks forward to seeing them in early April when outside track & field practices will begin at Mercer Stadium for the JD athletes.
Royal City Track & Field Club will hold some indoor training practices for JD athletes aged 10-12 years old that are optional and at no extra cost to you starting with January 21. Athletes must have participated with RCTFC in 2018 to be eligible and must be currently registered for the 2019 season.
Due to the indoor space available and coaching resources for the sessions, these practices will be limited to a maximum number of participants. A sign up link is attached below for those who are interested and can commit to attending all the sessions. Once the maximum number of participants is reached, it is full and will not allow any further sign ups for these sessions.
Parents of JD athletes who do not get a spot in these optional sessions or cannot participate due to other sports/activity commitments are encouraged to enjoy other physical activity previous to the start of the regular April outdoor track season practices.
The optional Winter indoor JD training sessions will be as follows:
Monday, January 21, February 4, 18, 25 and March 4
6:00pm – 7:30pm
Thank you to coaches Andrew Robinson and Darryl Forsyth for volunteering to lead these sessions.
SIGN UP IF YOU CAN COMMIT TO ALL SESSIONS
If your athlete is between 10-12 years of age, was a participant with RCTFC in 2018, intends to be in 2019, is interested in the above optional indoor training sessions and can commit to attending all the sessions (unless due to illness), please visit the following link to reserve a spot for your child. In the comments, please provide child’s full name, email address, birth year and confirm that your child participated with RCTFC in the 2018 season.
9 year old JDs in 2019:
RCTFC athletes turning 9 years old in 2019 will not be included in the pre-season training. They are encouraged to enjoy their winter activities and be ready to start their first year of JD at the beginning of April at Mercer Stadium.
13 year old JDs in 2019 ONLY:
RCTFC athletes turning 13 years old in 2019 (in their last year of JD) will not be included in the pre-season JD indoor training sessions but will be encouraged to come out to the 14+ aged pre-season training sessions with Coach Sean AS ABOVE. If you have any questions feel free to contact Coach Sean at email@example.com. If you plan to come to the sessions, you will be required to email Coach Sean to confirm your plan to attend. The first session will be Thursday, January 10 from 6:00pm – 7:15pm at Mercer track–that’s this week! Throws athletes and those interested in pole vault are also encouraged to contact the respective coaches AS ABOVE.